New Relic is a performance management solution, enabling developers to diagnose and fix application performance problems in real time. In just 30 minutes, you’ll have immediate, code-level visibility into your app. Access to New Relic is yours for eternity at no cost—and you get Pro-level access for 14 days free!
Getting Started With WordPress + New Relic in 30 Minutes
Sign-up for your free account. Deploy a small, lightweight agent based on stack of your application servers. Then, log into the New Relic web app and the service will immediately “light up” with actionable performance data about your application.
From here your application and server monitoring experience begins! Oh, and this only takes about 30 minutes – so yeah it’s easy!
we will cover this in 4 sub section as below :
- Relic Products Overview
- Create your New Relic account
- Deploy the New Relic agent
- Verify app’s New Relic APM Overview page.
So, let’s get started!
New Relic is a performance management solution, enabling developers to diagnose and fix application performance problems in real time.
- New Relic Insights: Real-time analytics about software, customers, and business
- New Relic Browser: Frontend monitoring of real end-user experiences
- New Relic Mobile: Native mobile application performance management
- New Relic Synthetics: Automated, scripted tools for proactive monitoring
- New Relic APM: Performance monitoring for web applications
- New Relic Infrastructure: Complete visibility across your dynamic infrastructure
How it works :
New Relic uses lightweight agents throughout your technology stack to collect information about the health of your digital channels, and surface this real-time metric and event data through self-service dashboards, intelligent alerting, and powerful reporting.
- New Relic for Web Apps all new accounts start out with a free 14 day trail of Pro. Once trial period ends, your account will automatically be migrated to our Lite (free) subscription. Flexibly Pricing & Packages.
- New Relic for Mobile Apps all new accounts start out with a free 30 day trial of Enterprise. Once trial period ends, your account will automatically be migrated to our Lite (free) subscription. Standard starts at $29/month per app.
Create your New Relic account
- Select the Web Agent to be to installed on your server. This agent monitors your application to help you identify and solve performance issues.
- Before you install New Relic for PHP, make sure your system meets the applicable requirements.
- PHP versions 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 7.0, and 7.1.
- Root access is required for most installations You can ask you Hosting provider to install on behalf if you don’t have access
- For any installation, you will need your New Relic license key. This is a 40-character hexadecimal string that New Relic provides when you sign up for your account.
Install & Deploy the New Relic agent
In order for New Relic to function and report your application’s performance data, your app must be able to connect to the New Relic servers.
So Far, We have account setup done and New Relic license key is handy to be configured .. Lets move to installation step for agent on Server(Shared Host Or VPS or Local Development Machine .. Step would remain same )
As I mentioned previously, the PHP New Relic agent resides on the box, it therefore makes sense that you can install it using the operating system’s package manager (
apt-get since we’re using Ubuntu in this post) or Other Package based on your Linux flavor.
Using Tar Ball
Download the latest tarball from http://download.newrelic.com/php_agent/release
Unzip and install the agent files
sudo gzip -dc newrelic-php5-X.X.X.X-OS.tar.gz | tar xf - cd newrelic-php5-X.X.X.X sudo ./newrelic-install install
Using apt-get for Debian-based (Debian, Ubuntu, etc.)
Get the key:
wget -O - https://download.newrelic.com/548C16BF.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://apt.newrelic.com/debian/ newrelic non-free" \ > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/newrelic.list'
Install the package and configure it:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install newrelic-php5 sudo newrelic-install install # The script is interactive and will ask you to input your license key.
Or Optionally , After Installation also you can…Adjust your New Relic agent configuration settings to include your New Relic license key your New Relic properties: newrelic.ini or php.ini.
It’s worth noting that if your version of PHP is older than 5.2, the script will bail out as older versions are not supported.
If everything goes well, you should see the following message:
New Relic is now installed on your system. Congratulations!
- You need to restart your web server
- Give your app a meaningful name.
- Wait approximately ten minutes after deploying the agent for New Relic to start reporting performance data for your app.
- Verify that data begins to appear in your app’s New Relic APM Overview page.